Take this quiz to evaluate your listening skills.
An important aspect of communicating well is listening well. A positive listener makes the person who is speaking feel valued by demonstrating an interest in a sincere way.
Am I a positive listener?
- I give encouragement to the person who is speaking and reassure him or her that I’m interested. True or False
- I respond to the speaker, ‘Tell me more about that.’ True or False
- I echo or paraphrase important messages to let the speaker know I’m actively listening. True or False
- I ask specific questions and listen for clues as to what the speaker’s deeper interest in the subject may be. True or False
Am I a negative listener?
- I say to the speaker, “I know just what you mean.” True or False
- I glance away from the speaker while he or she is talking. True or False
- I frequently turn the conversation back to myself to share my opinions or ideas. True or False
- I often think I know the other person’s point of view before he or she has shared it. True or False